Tuesday, April 19, 2011

GordimerResponse

              Nadine Gordimer is a very interesting writer.  What makes her interesting to me is the fact she writes using a narrator that no one knows who they are or if they are telling the truth.
          The story, "Amnesty" was a good story to me.  The story combined the emotions sad and happy all wrapped up into one story.  The story made me feel sad for the main female character because all her husband did when he came home from prison was get her pregnant again and the left again.  He left saying, "he don't know when he is coming back and and there will not be any financial support."  she was happy when he came home.  I understand the main female characters feelings because a lot of men in this world today do the exact same thing the man in the story did.  Whether the man is in prison or he just got up and left leaving the woman to take care of their children without any financial support.  I do agree having children is a blessing but single mothers' like me would also consider having the man together with the children would be a blessings also.
          In Gordimer's story, "Six feet of the Country" she had in a man's voice.  I found the man to be a racist butt hole, excuse my language.  The story made me mad in a couple of parts of the story.  When the man said, "there are so many black faces- surely one will do?"  That part really sparked a madness in me.
          In both of Gordimer's stories I mentioned, she references to the Apartheid.  Whether it was shown in "Amnesty" where she had to get a permit just to go to Cape Town.  Also, naming her child Inkululeko was a symbol because her name referred to freedom.  In "Six Feet of the Country" the land was owned by white men.
          Overall, both of Gordimer's stories were good to me.  I would read another story like "Amnesty".  I was able to relate to the female main character in the story.  I think that is what made the story interesting to me.  I would not read another like "Six Feet of the Country."  I don't like to read stories that make me mad.  Also, with me being an African American I rather not read stories that have racist parts in it.

1 comment:

  1. I like your description of your reaction to "Six Feet of the Country" where you say, "It sparked a madness in me." I think that is an excellent way to describe the horror of this story. It is so unthinkably awful that anger and insanity are the only logical responses. Your observations about "Amnesty" are also very interesting: I like how you say that children are a blessing, but a husband to help take care of those children is also a blessing. How do we get the husbands to understand that?

    ReplyDelete